About Us


Who Are We?

Tamworth Cruising Club (TCC) is one of the oldest inland waterways cruising clubs, located at Bridge 74, Coventry Canal, Kettlebrook, Tamworth, Staffs. B77 1BS We have typical club facilities incl clubhouse, licensed bar, emergency slipway, elsan point, non-res. moorings (incl temp. and winter moorings when space available) plus a busy social calendar.


HISTORY

The club was formed after an earlier exploratory meeting by a number of Tamworth and Lichfield boat owners, based at three locations. These Locations were Kettlebrook, Jones Boat Yard, and Fradley Junction.

At this Inaugural meeting it was decided to name the club 'Coventry Canal Society - Northern Branch', with an affiliation to 'Coventry Canal Society'.

Later, the club became independent and broke away from the 'CCS' and became the Tamworth Cruising Club.

The next major change came on the 28th September 1978 when T.C.C split and the Lichfield Cruising Club was formed with Huddlesford as it's HQ.

Burgee Design

The club burgee design was proposed by one of the founder members, Ron Wem and was modified at the suggestion of the badgemakers to move the scroll, which was below the heraldic representation of Tamworth Castle, to the 'fly end' allowing the 'CCS' and later, 'TCC' to have larger and clearer lettering.

Original CCS BURGEE

CURRENT TCC BURGEE

Kettlebrook Wharf


Site History

An old photo showing the site in use as a coal wharf (left), and, as it is today (right) the only real point of reference is the railway bridge near the centre.

1959 - Site leased by Coventry Canal Society - Northern Branch